Having received an overwhelming majority of votes from the members of the National Executive Board, Marinduque Gov. Presbitero J. Velasco Jr. has been elected as President of the League of Provinces of the Philippines (LPP).
The LPP held its first General Assembly and Election of Officers for the term 2019-2022 on 11 July 2019 at the Crowne Plaza Galleria with 61 governors in attendance.
Along with Gov. Velasco, Quirino Gov. Dakila Carlo E. Cua was also elected as National Chairman.
Both Govs. Velasco and Cua were elected by their colleagues owing to their experience and eminence in their respective fields prior to being elected as provincial chief executives, as an Associate Justice in the Supreme Court and as chairman of the powerful Committee on Ways and Means in the House of Representatives during the 17th Congress, respectively.
Also elected to lead the League in pursuing its various advocacies toward protecting and advancing local autonomy and decentralization were Tarlac Gov. Susan A. Yap as Executive Vice President; Gov. Albert Raymond S. Garcia of Bataan and Oriental Mindoro Gov. Humerlito A. Dolor as Vice-Presidents for Luzon, and Aklan Gov. Florencio T. Miraflores and Zamboanga Sibugay Gov. Wilter T. Palma as Vice-Presidents for Visayas and Mindanao, respectively. Meanwhile Davao Oriental Gov. Nelson L. Dayanghirang was elected as Secretary-General.
The National Executive Board, comprising the regional chairpersons selected by the governors in their respective regions include the following:
• CAR: Gov. Maria Jocelyn V. Bernos
• Region I: Gov. Ryan Luis V. Singson
• Region II: Gov. Dakila Carlo E. Cua
• Region III: Gov. Susan A. Yap
• Region IV-A: Gov. Hermilando I. Mandanas
• Region IV-B: Gov. Presbitero J. Velasco Jr.
• Region V: Gov. Al Francis C. Bichara
• Region VI: Gov. Florencio T. Miraflores
• Region VII: Gov. Zaldy S. Villa
• Region VIII: Gov. Leopoldo Dominico L. Petilla
• Region IX: Gov. Wilter Y. Palma
• Region X: Gov. Jurdin Jesus Romualdo
• Region XI: Gov. Jayvee Tyron Uy
• Region XII: Gov. Nancy A. Catamco
• Caraga Region: Gov. Francisco T. Matugas
• BARMM: Gov. Mamintal A. Adiong Jr.
Meanwhile, Eastern Samar Gov. Ben P. Evardone, together with Govs. Garcia, Dolor and Dayanghirang were selected as Board Members-at-Large.
Joining the roster of new officers of the LPP are the following:
• Treasurer: Gov. Imelda Q. Dimaporo
• Assistant Treasurer: Gov. Marilou H. Cayco
• Auditor: Gov. Maria Jocelyn V. Bernos
• Deputy Secretary-General for Luzon (North): Gov. Matthew Marcos Manotoc
• Deputy Secretary-General For Luzon (South): Gov. Jose R. Riano
• Deputy Secretary-General For Visayas: Gov. Arthur R. Defensor Jr.
• Deputy Secretary-General For Mindanao: Gov. Jayvee Tyron Uy Publications and Public Information Officers
• Luzon (North): Gov. Eleanor C. Bulut-Begtang
• Luzon (South): Gov. Eduardo B. Gadiano
• Visayas: Gov. Ben P. Evardone
• Mindanao: Gov. Jurdin Jesus M. Romualdo
Council Of Advisers:
• Gov. Jose CH Alvarez
• Gov. Danilo E. Suarez
• Former Governor Jose “Joey” Lina Jr.
• Senator Imee R. Marcos
In turning over the helm of the League to Gov. Velasco, outgoing president, Gov. Singson thanked his colleagues for the support they extended to him, national chairman, Albay Gov. Al Francis C. Bichara and the rest of the outgoing officers in pushing forward the advocacies of LPP.
Meanwhile, the incoming President, Gov. Velasco, not only thanked his colleagues for their overwhelming support, but also vowed to continue the programs and advocacies that have already been started by the LPP.
Foremost of these is ensuring that the decision of the Supreme Court in the Mandanas case, entitling the LGUs to a 40% share in all national taxes collected, is implemented the soonest.